What I like about the word ‘hack’ is that it means you know the system so well you can re-organise it to fit your needs.
Nick Gray describes how his museum tours for friends grew through referrals until he became a go-to source for institutions and clients in need of a storytelling refresher.
1. Ignite your passion. When you start things for fun they convey a genuine, contagious energy.
2. Be brave. Institutions can appear exclusive, but museums and their contents should be yours to re-interpret.
3. Start small, think big. Despite their initial hesitance, big clients often want to work with fresh thinkers.
4. Collaborate. Explain to partner institutions how your proposal can fit with their in-house offers rather than threaten them.
5. Emphasise outreach. Show how your creative approach can help organisations reach new audiences.